At Darren Evans Assessments, we always strive to keep abreast of the latest sustainable technology developments, to make our energy efficiency assessments as up-to-date and cost-effective as possible. Recently, we’ve investigated a number of Waste Water Heat Recovery Systems (WWHRS), and have been impressed with the results.
Waste Water Heat Recovery Systems reclaim heat that would normally be lost down the drain when you shower, or in any other situation where hot water runs into a drain. Using a copper counter flow heat exchanger, the heat from waste water is used to pre-warm cold water from the mains, meaning the boiler does not have to create as much hot water to shower. Up to 60% of the heat normally lost down the drain is reclaimed, meaning energy consumption per shower is significantly reduced.
At first glance, this technology presents several key benefits:
– It is recognised by the BRE in SAP calculations, and can therefore be installed in new-build properties to help achieve Part L1A and CSH regulations.
– In terms of performance, it achieves similar savings to Mechanical Ventilation Heat Recovery Systems in terms of SAP calculations, but is significantly cheaper to purchase, install and maintain.
– It has been approved by the Water Regulations Advisory Scheme (WRAS), and is easily installed using common plumbing practises and fittings.
– Once installed, it is maintenance-free.
– It works all year round without being aspect dependent (as, for example, solar thermal technologies would be).
– It represents a saving in energy bills and reduces CO2 emissions.
Manufacturers of the WWHRS ‘Showersave’ say that the system is likely to pay for itself within three years, and that over 2000 units have been installed so far in the UK. Our experience with recommending and installing this technology thus far has been extremely positive, and we hope it will benefit our clients in the future.
Want to know more about our services? Call us now on 01454 317940, or read more about what we can provide at http://darren-evans.co.uk/index.php/our-services.